Well, some details done! BUT I have to do the hair and the “faces” yet… meaning eyes, eyebrows and mouths… beards are fairly easy…
Finally did (not yet finished) the yellow colour!
Black stripes on the saddle bag.
Doing neckties too! Had to consult the film again to get them right!
Now… next week it would be the horses… if I do not gloss varnish the soldiers first… always nagging doubts… if I do varnish with gloss the riders and let them dry they will provide a very good hold to grip while doing the horses… I do not want chipping now… at all…
Finally I am doing them, it has been a busy task to drill the holes to fit the heads, and also put the arms in place. A normal procedure when buying casts and a bit of DIY. Of course that is after gluing together the two parts of the horse (YES the casts come in two parts and you have to glue them). Had to add pistol holster (from DORSET SOLDIERS) and add the guidon from my spares box (Old DUCAL lance). Not complaining at all but it is not my favourite time with them… I enjoy painting but the assembly part is like work in a way…
Now, the pots of Vallejo painting have been buyed long ago… I will prim the figures and let them dry. And then it would be the usual Henry Ford approach of painting in a “line of production”. That way when you have finished the last figure (54mm REPLICA) the first is already dry and so on.
Really it is more fun to show what I am doing instead of simply posting what others have done (syndrome of “look Ma what I have done!”).
You can simply skip those Posts if not interested.
2023 was a very chaotic tasks jumble with the production of the Baccus proxies for the Brigade of British Guards in the Crimean War interrupting all the time work in other scales. With them finished and out of the way finally able to do Nathan Brittles Second US Cavalry patrol.
The need to add them to my collection has always been there… but until Andrew Stevenson produced the sample (see bottom) I was not able to locate the casts at all (with my own specifications and variations).
It was somewhat an ordeal, maybe because I am 71, but the delays due to Postal Services mishaps did not help at all.
I first tried pestering Peter Berry about them (to no use), meaning why not a proper Baccus Crimean range?… wishful thinking of course!
Then I finally (and stubborn in a way) followed the Proxies Way!… that meant eliminating with a cutter the “French” parts of the minis (obvious even in 6MM).
Painting them was fast and true… the minor step of the way… you maybe do not believe how fast it is to paint 6MM!
Gluing them into bases was easy.
Then something I have not done for years… sculpting the bases or stands… an awful mess I did of it. To the credit of the Baccus basing system the old pots where still quite useful (except the wash who had evaporated more than 5 years later).
And finally the sets of colours (Napoleonic in fact).
This is my last effort of DIY in 6MM… my daughter has forbidden me to paint less than 54MM (LOL).
Only a matter of adding texture to the stands and pop goes the whistle!
It has been a long project with delays fault of the Postal services!… I have learned a lot about that by now. If I ever do a project again in 6MM (Do it Myself I mean) I would have to order quite ahead of the time of implementation.
Now the Brigade of Guards in the Crimea is finally on its last stages… of course the flags will help a lot!